Mittwoch, 1. Februar 2012

Conquering fears

It is true. Seriously. Since school I have been afraid of knitting socks! I went to a Waldorf School and in grade 4 or 5 (I don't remember exactly, at least at an unbelievably early age) every child has to knit its own socks. After a year full of nightmares and a burned out teacher, I made it to 1 1/2 Socks. The unfinished one is still buried in some drawer at my parents house... the other one was used as a stocking for Nikolaus at one point.
But, yarn along  and no more sock-knitting grandmas made it happen! I conquered my fears and cast on for socks. I bought the most beautiful yarn I could find (Olè, by katia) to get the right motivation and almost finished the first cuff - when I noticed it was too tight and would never slip over my rather big ankle like this. So, after a night of frustration, I remembered Enim Sous brave ravelling last week and did the same. And started again with 8 more stitches.
So, here I am, still at the cuff. but I am VERY motivated to keep going until the  very sweet end aka warm new socks on my feet.
I also got some lovely Manos del Uruguay for my first Shalom, ment to be worn by Aaron, but I am afraid I will need some more details on the pattern for boys from JenMuna. I hope she will be well again soon and help me out ;-)



Btw: am I  the only one around here, who has trouble taking undisturbed pictures during day light?

The book I got from the library this week is called "Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting". Writen by Myla and Jon Kabat-Zinn. It is kind of spiritual, maybe a little too much for my taste, but still I was drawn to it and I like where it says to stop optimizing your child and start to just watch it grow. The more I read it, the more I like it.

My cup of tea today and most of last week is a white tea with rose blossoms. Very tender without the need for sugar or milk. And a very lovely scent. Do you smell it?




4 Kommentare:

  1. Das ist aber wirklich eine schöne Wolle. Ich bin gespannt, wie der Farbverlauf weiter geht.

    Das Buch kling interessant, ist mir aber ein bißchen zu spirituell. Ich mag es lieber, wenn mir augenzwinkernd ein Spiegel vorgehalten wird und man Erziehung nicht allzu ernst nimmt. Kinder, die aufrichtig geliebt und geschätzt werden, können eine Menge Fehler, die man als Eltern macht, verkraften und verzeihen und perfekt werden wir eh nie.

    Liebe Grüße, enim sou, die diese Woche mal nichts geribbelt hat :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I'm trying to smell it, but alas all I smell is the cumin we had for dinner. :) Keep going with the sock - it'll get easier. Such a pretty color yarn.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. how funny, i am drinking rose tea too, a gift from a friend this week! good for you keeping to the sock, you can do it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Riecht bestimmt wundervoll!
    Die Wolle ist superschoen, das ist doch die beste Motivation. Viel Glueck!

    AntwortenLöschen